Celebrate Earth Day on Friday April 22 at Old Sturbridge Village. Bring your family and friends to enjoy interesting fun activities from 11am-3pm:
- Rain Garden heritage seeds planting
- Enviroscape interactive stormwater display
- Sawmill and Gristmill demonstrations
- Quinebaug River Boat Ride
- Videos about the benefits of Low Impact Development
- Fact sheets on how you can help keep water clean
- And much more…
This Earth Day event is also the kick-off for the Sturbridge Stormwater Pollution Reduction Project that will help sustain healthy streams and lakes. Project partners include the Town of Sturbridge, Central MA Regional Planning Commission (CMRPC), Old Sturbridge Village and the MA Watershed Coalition.
The Sturbridge Pollution Reduction Project is funded by a grant from MassDEP and the EPA . The project will increase awareness of Low Impact Development (LID); prepare a LID bylaw; and plan stormwater improvements for the Old Sturbridge Village parking lot.
Low Impact Development prevents polluted runoff that harms streams, rivers and lakes. Examples of these LID techniques can include:
- Better land use planning and design
- “Green” development and redevelopment projects
- Pollution prevention practices
- Tree planting, rain gardens, green roofs, bioswales
More info about LID is available on the websites of MA Watershed Coalition and Central MA Regional Planning Commission.